Friday, December 30, 2005

Another Day

One is following the steps. One is giving. One is being a good steward, by living within one’s means, and paying off debt. What is one to do now? Return to the statement; there are three principles to become and live debt free. Those principles are Giving, Stewardship and Contentment.

Here is a ‘news flash’, contentment is LEARNED!

The Apostle Paul said, “Not that I speak in regard to need, for I have learned in whatever state I am, to be content:” in Philippians 4:11. In the next verse he expounds upon his ‘station’, Philippians 4:12, “I know how to be abased, and I know how to abound. Everywhere and in all things I have learned both to be full and to be hungry, both to abound and to suffer need.” He tells us he has learned to live with (an abundance) and without (in indigence). He goes on to tell us in verse 13 how to do this, “I can do all things through Christ who strengthens me.”

For me, it was not as easy as quoting a Bible verse. I ‘knew’ what the Bible said, but I did not ‘apply’ what it said. The ‘real’ change in my life occurred when I adopted a new attitude. When I, personally ‘adopted’ an attitude of ‘indigence of spirit’. Indigence defined, “a level of poverty in which real hardship and deprivation are suffered and comforts of life are wholly lacking.” So what does ‘indigent spirit’ mean? I had to conclude that I WAS impoverished. There was nothing I could do to change my station - not physically (by working myself into the grave), not mentally (by coming up with ‘smart’ ways to outwit slavers), not emotionally (by alleviating depression with ‘things’), and not spiritually (by knowing more about the Bible). I could not get out of debt, I could not get the medical or financial support I needed, I could not alleviate the depression of ‘Outer Darkness’, I could not be a spiritual ‘Giant’ by knowing a lot Bible verses. I could do Nothing alone.

“I have been crucified with Christ; it is no longer I who live, but Christ lives in me; and the life which I now live in the flesh I live by faith in the Son of God, who loved me and gave Himself for me.” Galatians 2:20

Mary is referring to Jesus, “His mother said to the servants, “Whatever He says to you, do it.”” John 2:5

“Therefore, whether you eat or drink, or whatever you do, do all to the glory of God.” 1 Corinthian 10:31

“Were you called [to Salvation] while a slave? Do not be concerned about it; but if you can be made free, rather use it. For he who is called in the Lord while a slave is the Lord’s freedman. Likewise he who is called while free is Christ’s slave.” 1 Corinthians 7:20, 21

““Therefore do not worry, saying, ‘What shall we eat?’ or ‘What shall we drink?’ or ‘What shall we wear?’ For after all these things the Gentiles seek. For your heavenly Father knows that you need all these things. But seek first the kingdom of God and His righteousness, and all these things shall be added to you. Therefore do not worry about tomorrow, for tomorrow will worry about its own things. Sufficient for the day is its own trouble.” Matthew 6:31-33

“If you abide in Me, and My words abide in you, you will ask what you desire, and it shall be done for you.” John 15:7


So what does that mean as far as contentment, and an indigent spirit? One can obey the commands of God. One can be ‘giving of the first fruits’, one can be ‘a good steward’ of earthly wealth. One can even be trusting God to meet needs and still not be content.

“Be anxious for nothing, but in everything by prayer and supplication, with thanksgiving, let your requests be made known to God; and the peace of God, which surpasses all understanding, will guard your hearts and minds through Christ Jesus.” Philippians 4:6-7

So where does contentment come from. We know it is learned, but how is it learned?
One has to live IN a relationship with Christ. Knowledge and Obedience to the ‘Law’ is what condemned the Pharisees. A relationship with the Living God is what separates us from the world, and brings contentment.
Start by recognizing and Practicing these truths:
“it is no longer I who live, but Christ lives in me” You are no longer alive, but Christ is living in you!

“Whatever He says to you, do it” Do the things that God directs through His word!

“do all to the glory of God.” Whatever you do, do it for Him!

You are “Christ’s slave.” That means obedience. Reverence God, He OWNS you! (His claim is greater than any claim by any ‘earthly’ master!)

“seek first the kingdom of God and His righteousness” Do not just make God your first ‘priority’ with your money, make God your first priority in your LIFE!

““If you abide in Me, and My words abide in you” Spend time with God, through His word.

“Be anxious for nothing, but in everything by prayer and supplication, with thanksgiving,” Keep God first, He knows your needs, wants and desires. Thank Him for it.

If one does these things what happens? “the peace of God, which surpasses all understanding, will guard your hearts and minds through Christ Jesus.” Read that again, “the peace of God”! It does not say God will give you peace. It says God will give you HIS peace…and it will guard you!

Consider that again: God will give you HIS peace…and it will guard you!


It is a simple illustration, but it defines a difference. My beautiful, aged car, with all its character, broke down today. I had to have it repaired…
Here is what I COULD have Done:
I could complain that the car broke down. I could complain that it was not in the budget. I could lament to God, “Why does this always happen to me?” I could worry about when it will be fixed. I could worry about how much it cost. I could complain about the cost.

Here is what I DID DO:
I thanked God it broke down near the garage close to my home. I thanked God that I did not have any ‘necessary’ appointments today, or tomorrow for that matter. I thanked God I was no longer a slave to debt, and have the money to pay for the repairs.

Either way, the car is fixed. The difference is how I dealt with it. Honestly, a year ago, maybe even sixth months ago, I would have reacted how I could have, and ‘blamed’ God. I did not. It is not because I am ‘unchained’ from debt. It is because I am becoming a ‘slave’ to Christ. I am learning His peace is a far better place to live than my worry. I am learning to be content in whatever circumstance. That is an ‘indigent spirit’ attitude. The attitude that ‘I am nothing He is everything!’ I get lessons like this one every day.

A couple of friends came up with two acronyms to describe these lessons - F.O.G. & F.R.O.G. Frequent Opportunities for Growth & Fully Rely On God!

Every day is a FOG, the question is whether you will be the FROG or deal with it alone.


Again: “God will give you HIS peace…and it will guard you!” Claiming that promise is how to learn to ‘be content’.

1 Comments:

Blogger GraceHead said...

Loved every word of it!
Heather, my wife, and I have this: FROGLA

Fresh
Revelation
Of
God's
Love and
Acceptance.

FROGLA

9:31 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home