Saturday, December 31, 2005

Terrifying Truth!
This is an expository/informational blog. While it may not be the most profound, or perfectly written blog, it is also not a journal blog in the sense that it is ‘my daily life’, or musings of the moment.

HERE WE ARE ADDRESSING ONE TOPIC: DEBT
I am a layman. I am not a pastor. I am not a professional writer. I do not have a seminary degree. I am a disabled veteran, American citizen, a Christian, and a freed slave. The reason I began this blog is I recognized that debt has been the GREATEST challenge and biggest diversion from my walk with Christ. Debt has had a greater impact on my ‘walk’ than the loss of loved ones and friends, loss of career, the horrors of combat, or the debilitating injuries sustained in the Military combined.

This is a basic overview of what we are going to cover.
First and foremost is the terrifying truth.
A. DEBT IS SLAVERY. [Proverbs 22:7(b).]
B. DEBT IS SIN. (for three reasons)
1. Debt is commonly a consequence of the sin of envy. [Envy is sin. Ex. 20:17, De. 5:21] [We asked the question: How many things is one in debt for to ‘keep up with the Jones’? We answered with Ro. 12:2 and Ja. 4:2-4]
2. Debt is lack of faith and trust in God. God promises to meet our needs. [Ph. 4:19, Ps. 37 18-19, He. 13:5, Mt. 7:11, Ro 8:32, Mt. 6:25-32] How much of one’s debt is failure to trust that God will fulfill His Promise to meet needs? We used the example of buying a car on credit. By going into debt for a car, one is saying, “God, you can not supply the car I need!”
3. We are commanded specifically NOT TO GO INTO DEBT! We start with Ex. 20:3, “You shall have no other gods before Me.” That verse does not specifically state NOT to go into debt, but take a look at the passage, 1 Co. 6:19-20, and the two SPECIFIC COMMANDS:
1 Corinthians 7:23, “You were bought at a price; do not become slaves of men.” (referring to the slavery of Pr. 22:7)
Romans 13:8 “Owe no one anything except to love one another, for he who loves another has fulfilled the law.”

Section 2:
A. Conviction: Recognize debt for what it is: slavery and sin.
B. Confession: Confess the sin. [1 Jn. 1:9]
C. Repentance: Change the behavior and stop sinning. [Jn. 8:11, Pr. 3:7, Ro. 12:1-2, Ph. 1:6 & 4:13 and Jn. 14:18]

Section 3:
The Principles of Becoming and Living Debt Free:
A. Giving
B. Stewardship
C. Contentment

Section 4:
Practical Application:
This is the section where we start taking a practical step by step walk through the “How-to” of getting out of debt and living debt free.
One of the biggest necessities of becoming debt free is to recognize the enemy. Creditors are not friends. Creditors are slavers. They enslave [Pr. 22:7]. They are not friends. They are not interested in one’s welfare. Their only concern is how to enslave, and keep one enslaved.

Before beginning to share what I have learned, both Biblically and experientially, a few things need to be addressed.

The next two posts, “Setting the Record Straight” and “Seeing Black & White in a World of Shades of Grey”, are ‘doctrinal statements. The first is my ‘Statement of Faith’. It is what I Believe based on the Bible and its teachings. I explain that in the introduction. The second is my ‘World View’. It is HOW I try to look at the world, based on my faith. Both these statements are ‘I’ statements. They are the way ‘I’ perceive existence. Obviously MANY people out there will not agree with these statements.
That is understandable. I accept that fact. If one disagrees with these statements, fine…I am always interested in apologetics. However, that should not detract from the purpose of this blog…to discuss debt.

While this blog is primarily directed at Christians…and the substantive ‘proofs’ of my ‘Arguments’ (see the post ‘Love to Argue’) are based on the Bible, there are many principles and practices that anyone can understand to improve their ‘quality of life’ by reducing the ‘Stress’ that debt places on one.

A final note:
This is an ‘Odyssey’ blog. It is a journey through a Biblical discussion of debt. I have previously stated I am not a ‘professional’ writer. I am not a theologian. I am a person that has been convicted of the sin and slavery of debt, and with God’s help have become free. I am no longer a slave to debt. Further, I have been convicted to share my experience and discoveries so that I may minister to others.
2 Corinthians 1:3-4 says, “Blessed be the God and Father of our Lord Jesus Christ, the Father of mercies and God of all comfort, who comforts us in all our tribulation, that we may be able to comfort those who are in any trouble, with the comfort with which we ourselves are comforted by God.”

This ‘Odyssey’ is a study of debt from both a Biblical and experiential perspective.
Reader comments are welcome [that is why it is a blog].
If this provides help, let us know so we can share in thanksgiving and blessings.

Additional help with scriptures and experiences are welcome.
“As iron sharpens iron, So a man sharpens the countenance of his friend.” Proverbs 27:17

‘Flaming’ is a ‘hazard’ of blogging, but in Christian love, please do not, just leave…If one has a legitimate ‘argument’ or contention, then we will try to address it.

Sometimes the reaction to CONVICTION is anger.

**Unless otherwise noted: All Biblical quotes in this blog are from The New King James Version. 1996, c1982. Nashville: Thomas Nelson.

1 Comments:

Blogger Bhedr said...

Brother you are a blessing. I am going to link you. i cannot imagine why I haven't already. Brother debt was a problem in our household as well. My wife and I are just now beginning to work as a team in this. Have you ever heard of Mary Hunt and Cheapskate monthly? Well we mirrored their marriage all the way down to the last T. She was just like her and now it is a wonder to see what God is doing in her life as well as mine. I had another area of struggle that God has given me His help over. What a joy it is to know him. Thank you also for your service to our country.

5:31 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home