Saturday, December 31, 2005

Setting the Record Straight.


Before beginning this blog on debt, we need to set the record straight!
It is important for the reader to know WHAT I BELIEVE. (Sometimes called a ‘statement of faith’ and used almost exclusively by churches and ‘religious’ organizations, I believe an ‘Individual’ should have a ‘statement of faith’. The preferred format is written, with Biblical references. This allows individuals to remind themselves of where they stand, so they do not fall prey to the plethora of ‘kind of Biblical’ doctrines abounding today.)

Where Do I Stand?
I start with a quote by Count Zinzendorf, a leader of the Protestant Reformation. The Quote from Count Zinzendorf is “in essentials unity, in non-essentials liberty and in all things charity (love).
Here is what I believe and live by as the essentials of the Christian faith.

B.L.U.F. – Bottom Line Up Front
Jesus Christ, GOD, the one and only Son of God, crucified, dead, resurrected, reigning….IS My Savior

Zinzendorf’s quote:
In essential beliefs — we have unity:
“There is one Body and Spirit…there is one Lord, on faith, one baptism, and one God and Father of us all…” Eph. 4:4-6.
In non-essential beliefs — we have liberty:
“Accept him whose faith is weak, without passing judgment on disputable matters… Who are you to judge someone else’s servant? To his own master he stands or falls… So then each of us will give an account of himself to God… So whatever you believe about these things keep between yourself and God.” Romans 14:1-4,12,22
In all our beliefs — we show charity (love):
“…If I hold in my mind not only all human knowledge but also the very secrets of God, and if I have the faith that can move mountains – but have no love, I amount to nothing at all.” I Cor. 13:2 (Ph)

GOD
I believe in one living and true God. God is the Creator, Ruler, and Preserver of all things. God is a spirit, and God is love. I believe that God is eternal, infinite, all-powerful, all wise, almighty and unchangeable, yet can be known by humanity and is intensely concerned for His creation. I believe in the unity of the Godhead, which, in the divine mystery, is one substance yet Three persons, Father, Son and Holy Spirit. God is perfectly just and righteous as well as being gracious and merciful.
Gen. 1:1, 26, 27, 3:22; Psalm 90:2; Matthew 28:19; I Peter 1:2: 2 Cor. 13:14

JESUS CHRIST
I believe in Jesus Christ as the only Son of God, fully human and fully God. I believe that he was conceived by the Holy Spirit and born of the virgin Mary. By Jesus’ incarnation, God became one of us to declare best to humanity His Love and Purpose. Jesus walked among us and in his sinless ness, became the perfect sacrifice for our sin. He suffered at the hands of humanity, was crucified, died and was buried and resurrected. The purpose was to restore our relationship with God, which was broken by sin.
He arose from the dead after three days to demonstrate His power over sin and death. He ascended to Heaven’s glory to intercede on our behalf with the God. He will return someday to earth to reign as King of Kings, and Lord of Lords.
Matthew 1:22, 23: Isaiah 9:6; John 1:1-5: 14:10-30; Hebrews 4:14,15; I Cor. 15:3, 4; Romans 1:3,4; Acts 1:9-11; I Timothy 6:14,15; Titus 2:13

THE HOLY SPIRIT
I believe in the Holy Spirit as the person of the Holy Trinity who lives within us. The Spirit convicts us of sin, and guides us in repentance. The Spirit offers us comfort, helps us and gives us understanding of God’s truth. The Holy Spirit also gives us the power to live the Christian life and directs us in the discovery and use of our spiritual gifts.
2 Cor. 3:17; John 16:7-13, 14:16, 17; Acts 1:8; I Cor. 2:12; 3:16; Ephesians 1:13; Gal. 5:25; Ephesians 5:18

THE AUTHORITY OF SCRIPTURE
I believe that the Holy Scriptures (the Bible) are and shall remain the only source and rule of doctrine, faith and practice. The Bible contains all the necessary truth to lead humanity into salvation. I believe that Christ is present with us in both Word and Sacrament and I decline to determine as binding what the Scripture has left undetermined or to argue about the mysteries impenetrable to human reason. Further, the Bible is God’s Word to us. Human authors, under the supernatural guidance of the Holy Spirit, wrote it. It is the supreme source of truth for Christian beliefs and living. Because God inspired it, it is the truth without any mixture of error.
2 Tim. 3:16; 2 Peter 1:20, 21; 2 Tim. 1:13; Psalm 119:105, 160; 12:6; Proverbs 30:5

HUMANITY AND SIN
I believe that God created humanity in His own image, pure and sinless. Yet through sin (disobeying God’s will) all humanity is sinful, having a selfish, rebellious and depraved nature. Being created in God’s image, I have the ability to determine what is right and wrong, as well as having the freedom to choose my own path. I also will be responsible for and held accountable for my actions and choices.
Sin destroys my ability to have a relationship with God. Sin is a way of life that seeks to satisfy wants and desires without regard of God. Sin is both individual acts of resisting, mistrusting and rejecting God’s will and the condition of my existence if I do not allow God to rule and direct my life. I believe that all of humanity is in bondage to sin and all are in need of salvation.
Genesis 1:27; Psalm8:3-6; Isaiah 53:6a; Romans 3:23; Isaiah 59:1, 2

SALVATION
I believe that Jesus Christ is the one and only Savior of humanity. Mankind cannot save itself, but Jesus Christ, by dying on the cross for our sins, has mended our relationship with God. Humanity (as individuals) can be restored to that relationship only through acceptance and belief in Jesus Christ and his gift on the cross.
Recognizing Christ as Lord and Savior gives us the free gift of eternal life. Salvation is by grace and not through any human effort. Once I am in God’s grace, nothing can separate me from that eternal relationship. It is possible to fall into sin, but through confession and true repentance, I will find forgiveness and restored fellowship with God.
Romans 6:23; Eph. 2:8, 9; John 14:6, 1:12; Titus 3:5

ABOUT ETERNITY
God created people to exist forever. We will either exist eternally with God through forgiveness and salvation or face judgment and damnation. To be eternally in union with Him is eternal life through salvation. Those that have not been saved will be judged on their works and then be cast into the ‘Lake of Fire’ (Hell). Heaven and Hell are REAL places of eternal existence. John 3:16; 14:17; Romans 6:23; Romans 8:17-18; Revelation 20:10-15; I Cor. 2:7-9

THE CHRISTIAN LIFE
I believe that the true spirit of my faith is life-centered rather than creed-centered and maintain that the greatest evidence of a regenerated heart is godly living. I find guidance for living this life of faith in the simplest Christian confession, “Jesus is Lord.”
I believe the Christian Life (Sanctification) is the work of God and the power of the Holy Spirit, making the believer pure in heart and totally committed to God. This work is both instantaneous and progressive. It begins with the birth of faith and continues throughout a person’s life.
The effective Christian life brings the believers to a point where they will denounce a desire to live for themselves and will desire to live totally for God. At this point Jesus will be truly Lord of our lives.
I believe that even though humanity cannot receive salvation through good works, they are pleasing to God and give evidence of genuine faith. Christian living in itself builds faith and gives testimony to God’s will for a person’s life.
Romans 12:1,2; James 5:12; Eph. 5:22-6:4; 1 Cor. 6:1-8; Rom. 12:17-21; Gal. 5:22-23; Eph. 6:18; Phil. 4:6


MINISTRY IN THE CHURCH
I believe that the Holy Spirit has given spiritual gifts to all believers. The purpose of these gifts are the building up of the Body of Christ (the Church) - and bringing glory to God. I believe in the Priesthood of all believers and that all Christians share in the privilege and responsibility of ministry in the church.
It is the goal of every believer to discover and use his or her gifts of ministry as a witness of the Gospel of Jesus Christ. I believe that the church is called to evangelize the world, make disciples, and offer worthy worship to God. This mission is concerned with the individual souls of all people as well as the structures of the world. The social ministry of the church is one of justice, peace and equality.
I Peter 2:9; Eph. 1:22-23; 5:25-32; 1 Cor. 12:12-13; Eph. 4:11-16

THE SECOND COMING OF CHRIST
I believe that Jesus Christ will return to this world again to receive his believers and to be the righteous judge of God’s perfect justice. The time of His return is unknown, but may be at any moment. This is the glorious hope of all believers. 1 Thess. 4:16-17; 1 Thess. 1:10; Rev. 3:10; Rev. 19:11-20:6

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home