Saturday, December 31, 2005

When ‘Want’ is Not Sin
Want, does not by definition mean sin. There is nothing wrong with wanting. It is a matter of why.

There are many verses in the Bible that tell us to ‘ask’. The Bible says that we do not have, because we do not ask! (Matthew 21:22, Luke 15:7, John 14:13, 14, 15:7, Romans 8:32, James 1:5, 1 John 5:14, 15, and many more) Most of these instructions are about asking for wants. So how do we know when what we want is sin and when it is not?

Consider the cross. Matthew 26:39 finds Jesus wanting, ‘He went a little farther and fell on His face, and prayed, saying, "O My Father, if it is possible, let this cup pass from Me; nevertheless, not as I will, but as You will."’ He did not want to die on the cross. However, what was His conclusion? The answer was that God’s will be done.

The first principle of ‘wanting’ is our willingness to be subject to God’s will. Are we willing for God to say, “No” or “wait”?

James gives us even more insight in James 4:2-4. The Message Bible (REMIX) puts it like this: “You lust for what you don’t have and are willing to kill to get it. You want what isn’t yours and will risk violence to get your hands on it. You wouldn’t think of just asking God for it, would you? And why not? Because you know you’d be asking for what you have no right to. You’re spoiled children each wanting your own way.” Verse 4 spells it out clearly, “You’re cheating God. If all you want is your own way, flirting with the world every chance you get, you end up enemies of God and His way.” There it is, straight from the Bible, we do not have because we are asking for envious wants and worldliness.

The second principle of ‘wanting’ is our motivation. Why do we want whatever it is we want? Do we want to be worldlier or more Godly?

Paul told the Romans, “It is good neither to eat meat nor drink wine nor do anything by which your brother stumbles or is offended or is made weak.” (Romans 14:21) Here the question is how our ‘wants’ affect others.

The third principle of ‘wanting’ is how it affects others. What example are we setting?

A couple of examples of principles applied:
I wanted a toaster. Did God want me to have a toaster? I didn’t know. I asked myself why I wanted a toaster. Was it because my neighbor had a super-deluxe eight slice thermo-matic whiz-bang toaster? No, it was because I like toast. Would having a toaster cause a brother to stumble? I do not think so. We are back to God’s will in the matter. Finances, wise spending and indebtedness are my stumbling blocks. How much cash was available (I’m not about to go into debt for a toaster)? $24 was available for the purchase. I went to the store, firmly set not to spend a penny over $24 for a toaster. If I could not find a toaster for under $24, I wasn’t getting a toaster. Toasters were on sale for $6.47 plus tax. I bought a toaster.

I want a newer car. My car is sixteen years old, while safe to drive; it has a lot ‘character’. The body and engine are in good shape, but I want a car without so much ‘character’. Do I want a newer car because my neighbor just bought one? No, my neighbor gets a brand new car every two years. I want a newer car not a brand new car. My car is not as suited to my uses as when I first got it. Would getting a newer car set a bad Christian example? Maybe. Does God want me to have a newer car? Not now. Why ‘maybe’ and ‘not now’? The only way that I can get a newer car now without going into debt is by divine intervention. The ‘maybe’ is if I go into debt to get a newer car, I’m a hypocrite, that is a bad example. The ‘not now’ is simple, God’s leading is NEVER sin. Since I am convinced debt is sin, then I would have to sin to get a car. God isn’t leading me to do that, even though I just got the ‘0% down, 3.9% for six years - guaranteed car loan approval’ certificate in the mail. That is TEMPTATION. I’ll wait for a newer car until God provides the means without the sin.

Questions to ask about ‘wants’
1. Am I subject to God? Remember, God does not want us to sin. The end (God’s will) never justifies the means (if the means are sin). (If Jesus had sinned, where would we be?)
2. Why do I want what I want? Is it envy or just a simple desire?
3. Will a ‘want’ cause a brother to stumble, or weaken my witness?

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home